Friday, August 5, 2011

On the Marvel Studios Flicks

My problem with the Marvel movies since the magnificent (--I know, I’m in the minority in this opinion--) Incredible Hulk is possibly boiled down easiest to one issue. That issue is editing. I was hyped for the Avengers movie after Iron Man, but there wasn’t a mention of it until the after-credit scene of that film. And then Incredible Hulk comes along, and instead of giving that film the Avengers-thing scene the post-credit treatment, the editor went ahead and made it the pre-credits rolling scene (the final scene of the film), when it obviously doesn’t end the film in the best way the way the scene before that one did (where Edward Norton’s eyes turn green and we cut to black).

Then Iron Man 2 comes out, and the whole movie is Avengers-things, basically. Thor makes about half of itself an Avengers thing, and then Captain America goes back to the way Hulk did it, with a scene with Samuel L. Jackson to close out the film, plus one with him as well post-credits, going into a teaser for the Avengers film.

So yeah, with the exception of Iron Man 2, and Thor, it’s pretty much editing. Also, maybe I would’ve been happier if, before we get a movie where everyone meets for the first time, there are movies where some meet each other first. Perhaps instead of Iron Man 2 and Thor being made into independent films of their own, they could’ve made that one movie, somehow, where they end up crossing paths, teaming up, kicking butt, etc. Maybe that’d make for one good film instead of the two okay ones we got.

I’m not sure I’m still hyped about The Avengers (and that probably means I’m not) now, because of my issues pointed to above, but I have at least a little bit of faith in the director, Joss Whedon. So I intend to at least rent the thing when it’s available.

No comments:

Post a Comment